Sunday, March 13, 2011

Meeting #2

Hey Folks,
I apologize for such a long delay, not one but two meetings have gone by and the next is quickly approaching. Sometimes I don't think I'm quite cut out to be organizer/blogger of this club but, then again, it was my idea.

Meeting #2
Memphis Taproom
Wednesday, 1/12/2011

I called ahead to give them a heads up that we were coming, the man who answered the phone was very polite and enthusiastic. The type of person you want to be friends with even if you don't really know them. They don't take reservations but, it's just common courtesy. It also is nice to not be fussy about seating arrangements when this happens either, just chill.
It was a hard night for me to get into mac n' cheese mode. No pictures were taken and hardly any notes were recorded. I had to be coerced to bring the notebook out by Jen, I handed it over to her and it was passed around the table. Which is really much easier than me trying to record everything.
People obviously ordered different things, not just mac n' cheese. Apparently, the mac n' cheese that is served as a side is different than the main offering. I had no idea. I will offer everyone's reviews starting with mine.

Me: I didn't take any notes because, the experience is burned into my brain. I ordered the cauliflower mac n' cheese (w/fenugreek oil and bellavitano cheese) and the beer battered dills. I gobbled up the pickles and patiently waited for the mac n' cheese. I was confident in my choice, I've had it before. I had the kind before the cauliflower too, swiss chard, red onion, and feta (I absolutely was in love with this). The cauliflower mac n' cheese was just so disappointing, I wanted to cry in it. The cauliflower was burnt, the cheese was flavorless, and it was incredibly dry. I only ate a small helping of it. A month later and I'm still sad. I do love The Memphis Taproom and they usually get it right so, don't let this deter you from visiting.

Jen: The mac n' cheese was not hot enough, not enough cheese, needs to be more creamy. The fried cauliflower on top was burnt (over done). The other mac n' cheese (pepperjack maybe?) was much better.

Adam: I like the crunchiness. I love cauliflower, so this is kind of biased. Overall though, it's just ok. 6/10, other food is better (he ordered a mushroom sandwich).

Maureen: Not cheesy enough. Not hot enough (temp-wise). The cauliflower tasted burnt. Overall, I like the flavor and the crunchy bread crumbs but, I feel like we caught them on a bad night. The fried pickles were good and the portobella sandwich was sooo delicious.

Lindsey: I've had better mac n' cheese here before (with squash and asparagus). Tonight it's a little heavy on the breadcrumbs and too light on the cheese. I do like the toasted breadcrumbs on top but, I don't think they need to mix the breadcrumbs throughout. Could use a more flavorful cheese.

Kelly & Hillary: I was relatively pleased with the cauliflower mac n' cheese until Adam told me that they used to have squash mac n' cheese. That sounds freakin' delicious! I then wished I had it instead. Also, Hillary has the pepperjack mac n' cheese and I stole some and preferred it. They do use excellent noodles. So shapely!

Vivian: I think the pepperjack mac n' cheese is not my cup of tea. The dish is gooey and consistent with every bite. The mac n' cheese served on the side with the chicken fried chicken is delicious. It's served pseudo Reagan style with the tomato sauce.

Society members present:
Lindsey
Maureen
Adam
Hillary
Kelly
Jen
John
Vivian
Emma
Me (Michelle)

The Memphis Taproom
2331 E. Cumberland Street
215-425-4460

No comments:

Post a Comment